Taking brands to the next level: Activism, anxiety, and the new consumer marketplace
Jack Neff, editor-at-large, Ad Age
Marc Somnolet, brand strategist & global CPG marketer
Stacy Bereck, Consumer Insights, GfK
Rachel Bonsignore, GfK Consumer Life
For consumers and brands alike, it has become hard to imagine everyday life without upheaval. COVID-19 has devastated economies around the world, and fervent protests for social justice have erupted, tapping into deep veins of frustration and anger.
In this troubled landscape, how do brands chart a path forward – to relevance, survival, and success? GfK brought together a panel of thought leaders and industry observers to consider where brands of all kinds go from here.
Drawing on fresh insights from GfK’s ongoing Consumer Pulse and Consumer Life research, the group explores
- whether brands can or should ever revert to a conventional “selling” agenda
- what messages and offers consumers want from brands – now and in the future
- what role activism should play in a brand’s identity
Webinar Series - COVID-19: What's Next for Consumers and Brands
Check out the past webinars in our series:
Join GfK and MRI-Simmons experts for a discussion on what we know about consumers today – and what it may tell us about life tomorrow. Using the latest insights from MRI-Simmons, GfK’s Consumer Pulse, and other up-to-the-minute insight sources, we explore:
- how consumers are emerging from a “locked-down” lifestyle
- what brands can do to adapt to the new ways of being
- whether consumers’ travel, shopping, and entertainment behaviors will shift back to old patterns
- which approaches to advertising and messaging are likely to resonate in the next marketplace
As US consumers continue to chart an uncertain course through the storm of COVID-19, brands struggle with knowing how to reach out – what messages will seem helpful and appropriate in such chaotic times. GfK’s Jon Brand and Melissa Sheila Garcia explore ways to
- tap into key themes of well-received campaigns responding to COVID-19
- monitor competitive online ad activity – even targeted “dark” marketing – during the pandemic
- get reliable insights on consumers’ reactions to brand creative
- maximize the short-term engagement – and long-term memorability – of ads
In this webinar, GfK draws on the latest wave of data from its benchmark study of the current crisis – the Coronavirus Consumer Pulse – and provides context through our longitudinal Consumer Life trend research. This invaluable session explores
- major consumer trends that are being reinforced by the crisis
- habits and attitudes that are undergoing fundamental shifts
- how these developments will shape physical and digital lifestyles – and the types of products and services consumers will seek out in the future
Reaction to the COVID-19 virus is upending markets and consumer behavior everywhere. To help you understand where we are – and what might be coming next -- GfK experts share their latest insights. This session answers such key questions as:
- How is consumer behavior evolving over the course of the crisis?
- What do consumers expect from brands in this new environment?
- How is this experience impacting attitudes generally?
Which behaviors seem more likely to become established?
GfK’s National Shopper Lab – representing 96 million grocery and drug store shoppers – provides a near-real-time window on the effects of the Coronavirus at the cash register. In this session, we explore how this transformation is playing out in key FMCG categories – and what the implications may be for brand trial and loyalty.